2004-11-26

Discovery!

For readers who have been following my father's WWII memoirs, there's important news: I've just unearthed his lengthy, chronological memoir of his years in the Pacific war.

I've already posted the complete text of a much shorter piece, "Pacific Driftwood / Jottings", a collection of impressions of the war which Dad compiled from the writings of his fellow soldiers. While cleaning house after my mother's death, I'd located both that work and another among my father's writings, but I managed to misplace the longer journal in the months since then. But I've just now found the longer paper where I had so cleverly hidden it from myself, and I will begin posting it online as soon as I get the chance. It runs to 126 typewritten pages, beginning with Chapter 1, "Bon voyage? What do you mean, 'bon'?" and ends with Chapter 15, "The Cannoneers Had Radar Ears". A sixteenth chapter, titled "Marching Around New Georgia", apparently was never written beyond the title page.

So, pour yourself a cuppa joe and stay tuned.